Current:Home > InvestPoinbank:Rep. George Santos won’t seek reelection after scathing ethics report cites evidence of lawbreaking -Capitatum
Poinbank:Rep. George Santos won’t seek reelection after scathing ethics report cites evidence of lawbreaking
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 22:03:14
WASHINGTON (AP) — The PoinbankHouse Ethics committee in a scathing report Thursday said it has amassed “overwhelming evidence” of lawbreaking by Rep. George Santos of New York that has been sent to the Justice Department, concluding flatly that the Republican “cannot be trusted” after a monthslong investigation into his conduct.
Shortly after the panel’s report was released, Santos blasted it as a “politicized smear” in a tweet on X but said that he would not be seeking reelection to a second term.
The panel said that Santos knowingly caused his campaign committee to file false or incomplete reports with the Federal Election Commission; used campaign funds for personal purposes; and engaged in violations of the Ethics in Government Act as it relates to financial disclosure statements filed with the House.
Santos has maintained his innocence and had long refused to resign despite calls from many of his colleagues to do so.
The ethics panel’s report also detailed Santos’ lack of cooperation with its investigation and how he “evaded” straightforward requests for information.
The information that he did provide, according to the committee, “included material misstatements that further advanced falsehoods he made during his 2022 campaign.”
The report says that an investigative subcommittee decided to forgo bringing formal charges because it would have resulted in a “lengthy trial-like public adjudication and sanctions hearing” that only would have given Santos “further opportunity to delay any accountability.” The committee decided instead to send the full report to the House.
It urges House members “to take any action they deem appropriate and necessary” based on the report.
The findings by the investigative panel may be the least of Santos’ worries. The congressman faces a 23-count federal indictment that alleges he stole the identities of campaign donors and then used their credit cards to make tens of thousands of dollars in unauthorized charges. Federal prosecutors say Santos, who has pleaded not guilty, wired some of the money to his personal bank account and used the rest to pad his campaign coffers.
Santos, who represents parts of Queens and Long Island, is also accused of falsely reporting to the Federal Elections Commission that he had loaned his campaign $500,000 when he actually hadn’t given anything and had less than $8,000 in the bank. The fake loan was an attempt to convince Republican Party officials that he was a serious candidate, worth their financial support, the indictment says.
Santos easily survived a vote earlier this month to expel him from the House as most Republicans and 31 Democrats opted to withhold punishment while both his criminal trial and the House Ethics Committee investigation continued.
veryGood! (8117)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Derek Hough Marries Hayley Erbert in California Forest Wedding
- Derek Hough Marries Hayley Erbert in California Forest Wedding
- Oregon Republican senators sue to run for reelection, saying walkout rule shouldn’t stop them
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Spain coach Jorge Vilda rips federation president Luis Rubiales over kiss of Jennifer Hermoso
- Trump campaign says it's raised $7 million since mug shot release
- GM pauses production of most pickup trucks amid parts shortage
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Dozens of wildfires burn in Louisiana amid scorching heat: This is unprecedented
Ranking
- A New York Appellate Court Rejects a Broad Application of the State’s Green Amendment
- Maui wildfires: More than 100 people on unaccounted for list say they're OK
- Wear chrome, Beyoncé tells fans: Fast-fashion experts ring the alarm on concert attire
- Back in Black: Josh Jacobs ends holdout with the Raiders, agrees to one-year deal
- A steeplechase record at the 2024 Paris Olympics. Then a proposal. (He said yes.)
- Full transcript of Face the Nation, August 27, 2023
- At least 7 shot in Boston, police say
- On the March on Washington's 60th anniversary, watch how CBS News covered the Civil Rights protest in 1963
Recommendation
Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
Video shows rest of old I-74 bridge over Mississippi River removed by explosives
Kim Cattrall and Other TV Stars Who Returned to the Hit Shows They Left
'DWTS' judge Derek Hough marries partner Hayley Erbert in fairytale redwood forest wedding
IOC's decision to separate speed climbing from other disciplines paying off
Kelly Rowland Gushing Over Blue Ivy's Work Ethic May Just Break Your Soul in the Best Possible Way
Taylor Swift Shows Support for BFF Selena Gomez in the Sweetest Way After Single Soon Release
Scott Dixon earns masterful win in St. Louis race, stays alive in title picture